Connect with us

CELEBRITY

NEW: The upcoming MELANIA documentary has been pulled down from airing in theaters across South Africa following the film’s context, timing, and framing, given the current U.S political climate and renewed immigration enforcement

Published

on

The film, Melania, had been scheduled for release across South African cinemas and was being distributed locally by Filmfinity. It had secured bookings with the country’s two major cinema chains, Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro, as well as independent venues including Cape Town’s Labia Theatre, after passing standard classification and regulatory approval processes.

However, ahead of its release, concerns were raised directly with Filmfinity and participating cinemas regarding how the documentary would be received in the current global political climate. Sources familiar with the situation say these discussions focused on the film’s framing and context, particularly given renewed immigration enforcement in the United States and broader unrest linked to the exercise of state power.

The objections did not relate to censorship, legality, or a call for the film to be banned. Rather, the concern was whether a documentary closely tied to an individual connected to active political power could reasonably be presented as neutral entertainment without additional contextual framing.

Additional scrutiny was directed at the film’s production background. The documentary was made with the involvement of its subject and directed by Brett Ratner, whose Hollywood career largely stalled in 2017 following multiple, widely reported allegations of sexual misconduct. Ratner has denied the allegations, but his involvement remained a point of concern for some audiences and exhibitors, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

South Africa’s own history with political image-making, propaganda, and cultural narrative control also influenced how the release was perceived. Industry observers note that local audiences and institutions tend to be particularly sensitive to media that intersects with power, representation, and historical memory.

Following engagement between the distributor, cinemas, and other stakeholders, Filmfinity confirmed that Melania would be withdrawn from South African cinemas. The decision affects all scheduled screenings, including those at Ster-Kinekor, Nu Metro, and independent venues.

The film has not been banned in South Africa and remains accessible through other channels outside the country. Sources familiar with the situation emphasize that the withdrawal reflects a distribution choice rather than any regulatory intervention by South African authorities.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITY3 hours ago

“The Supreme Court on Friday dealt President Donald Trump perhaps the most significant rebuke of his second term,” writes Aaron Blake. “The justices, including two of the president’s appointees, struck down Trump’s signature economic policy: his global tariffs.”

CELEBRITY3 hours ago

“Donald Trump is unfit to be president. He’s corrupt, a serial liar, and he’s covering up the Epstein files,” Rep. Ted Lieu Do you agree with Ted Lieu?

CELEBRITY1 day ago

🚨BREAKING: Trump says he’ll sign an executive order today imposing a new 10% global tariff—this time under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which allows a temporary import surcharge of up to 15% for up to 150 days to address “large and serious” balance-of-payments issues. He says existing Section 232 and Section 301 tariffs remain in effect.

CELEBRITY1 day ago

Good lord, this rambling idiot on TV is actually the president of the most powerful country on the planet? How the hell do we as a nation allow this shitshow to continue? He has completely destroyed our global reputation. 😢😢😢

CELEBRITY1 day ago

🚨 JUST IN: Governor Gavin Newsom is calling for Donald Trump to issue immediate tariff refund checks — with interest — following today’s Supreme Court ruling! Raise your hand if you want Trump impeached immediately ✋

CELEBRITY1 day ago

The Supreme Court just blocked Trump’s big tariffs plan under emergency powers, ruling 6-3 against him. Raise your hand if you want Trump impeached immediately ✋

CELEBRITY1 day ago

U.S. Senators have taken the STUNNING step of officially calling for President Trump’s removal from office under the 25th Amendment…

CELEBRITY3 days ago

JUST IN: Taylor Swift Showered With $141K in Gifts as Travis Kelce Kicks Off Wedding Countdown. Click for more below 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾

CELEBRITY3 days ago

🇺🇸🚨 – U.S. Senators have officially called for President Trump’s removal from office under the 25th Amendment.

CELEBRITY4 days ago

JUST IN: I don’t want Trump merely impeached!!!Trump’s time is coming to an end! Sooner or later he will have to leave office. If Democrats get a majority after the midterms investigations will start. Commissions will be named. All that evidence will be turned over to a new AG that is the opposite from Bondi! Convicted will come. Click the link below to know who made the statement and all it entails 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾

CELEBRITY4 days ago

BREAKING: 🇺🇸 Former U.S. President, Barack Obama: “They ask me about Trump’s latest ‘post.’ We could spend the whole day reacting to every buffoonish spectacle coming out of the White House, but that’s exactly what they want: for us to lose focus. Politics used to have a limit of shame. Today, it seems the strategy is simply to exhaust our capacity for astonishment. Don’t be distracted by the noise; watch what they are doing to your rights while you stare at the screen.”

CELEBRITY4 days ago

BREAKING 🚨 Trump is now demanding that Venezuela’s acting leader officially recognize Nicolás Maduro as the legitimate president following his shocking capture by the US last month. 🇺🇸🇻🇪 A massive diplomatic twist that completely scrambles Washington’s endgame in South America. 🌍⚖️🔥 Why do you think the US is suddenly insisting on his legitimacy right after capturing him?

Copyright © 2025 Celebritymoods